Thursday, April 10, 2014

Beverley Animal Shelter Film Plan



          While I began filming at the Beverley Animal Shelter I was overwhelmed by the passion of the employees and volunteers there. I have slowly begun interviewing them and my favorite quote so far was said by a woman, Dorris... “Our adoption rates are at about 70% to 80% for dogs and cats, but in addition to trying to find homes for these animals, we try to create a home for them here”. There is an enormous amount of love at this shelter, and it is wonderful to see a group of people care for animals in such a big way. As the interviews went on things like “I even come on my days off just to make sure the cats get their medicine at the right time”... And “The best part of my day is playing with the animals, it gives me just as much joy as it gives them”.

           The process of doing this blog has given be a lot of anxiety about how humans treat animals.. And for a while it made me question if the human race had lost all compassion. But spending time at the Beverley Animal Shelter has reassured me that people still do have a heart when it comes to animals. Even though being at a shelter is never easy for an animal, Beverley makes every effort to make it a home rather than a waiting room.

          The reason I am making a short film about Beverley Animal shelter is to highlight the good they are doing for homeless animals, and how we can help. During the interviews I will ask the employees and volunteers “If you had a genie that could grant you one wish, what would you change or improve about the shelter?” In addition to donating food, blankets and toys... I wonder if there is something bigger that the employees dream of for Beverley. A new building, walking paths or improved enclosures... Whatever it may be I want to make this film to illustrate their dream and why they deserve to have it come true.


The interview questions I plan to ask the employees of Beverley Animal Shelter:

What is the best thing about working at Beverley?

What is the hardest thing about working at Beverley?

Do you have any stories that are stuck in your mind from your experience working there?

If a genie could grant you one wish and you could improve or change one thing about Beverley what would it be?

A message to your volunteers, where do you need the most help?


           In addition to everything they are doing, Beverley Animal Shelter has a wonderful Facebook in which they post photos and stories of the animals they have up for adoption. This is a great way to advertise these critters that need a new home, outside of Waterloo (where the shelter is located). In addition, when a new animal is found they are able to post a picture and where the animal was when it was picked up.. in case the owner is trying to find it! (which happens many times). When I was at the shelter on monday afternoon there was a woman in tears expressing her gratitude for the shelter for finding her missing cat. 



The link to their Facebook page is:


          Lastly, for my film I would like to include my new passion of advocating adoption for senior dogs/cats by telling the stories of a couple at Beverley. As I said earlier there are animals that spend their entire lives at Beverley, and while they provide love and care for them at the shelter... every animal deserves a home and a chance to sneak on the couch while dads at work. Every animal has a story.. and through my film I want to illustrate the struggles they have overcome and their desperate need for a comfy warm bed and a carpet to pee on. My own dog is getting older, she is about eleven now, and every time I look at her I am thankful my family could provide a supporting and loving home for her to grow old in (just like every animal and human deserves). In addition to advocating the needs of the shelter, I want to advocate the needs of the senior animals. The puppies and kittens rarely have trouble finding homes... it is the older animals that are in desperate need. 

For example - here is Oreo: a 10 year old Australian Shepard Mix (my new dog crush). She's friendly with both dogs and cats, protective and.......looks like a cookie. What else could you need?




No comments:

Post a Comment